- To establish mechanisms to foster greater community participation to achieve consensus in the development process.
- To develop and implement appropriate policies, guidelines and systems for sustainable development planning & control to ensure the effective, efficient and responsive delivery of service.
- To develop the capacity and capability of the Planning Department to effectively manage the planning affairs of the Council & the parish.
- To ensure an open & impartial development approval process in which valued & respected professionals deliver high quality services efficiently & effectively in order to safeguard the public’s interest.
- To increase the public’s awareness of the role and value of an efficient & effectiveness development approval process.
- To create & implement a detailed plan for Portland, complimented with laws, which would result in sustainable growth and development for the parish.
The Planning Department offers the service of processing development applications for:
- Subdivision approval
- Building approval
- Advertisement approval (temporary and permanent signs)
- Modification of Restrictive Covenants
- Request for repairs and installation of streetlights
- The Planning Unit also provides:
- General information on development within Portland.
- Local Improvement Act
- Town and Country Planning Act
- Surveyor’s Act
- NRCA Act
- Town and Communities Act
- Development Order, St. Catherine Coast
- National Physical Plan (NEPA)
- Building Act, Portland Coast Development Order under the Town and Country
- Planning Act
- NRCA Act
Constraints being faced by these laws
- These Laws are outdated and are not practical for use in today’s Planning Regime.
- They are however, currently being reviewed, but the reform process under which they are being reviewed is taking a quite a long time to be carried out.
- Fines and penalties stipulated by these laws are deemed mediocre hence making the enforcement process somewhat redundant.
- Some of the Laws are too rigid and need to be more flexible in order to facilitate sustainable development.