The main building of Titchfield School was once a military barracks. The building was completed in 1743 for the protection of the planters against invasion. Fort George was built in 1729. Titchfield School was founded in 1786 as a "free" school for the education of the youth in the parish. It was one of the first six to be established in Jamaica.