This Maroon village on the banks of the Wild Cane River was founded in 1739 when the Maroons signed a peace treaty with the English and obtained their freedom and 500 acres of land. The treaty forbad them to harbour runaway slaves. The community is still governed by a Colonel assisted by a Council of 24 members. At one end of the village is Bump Grave. It is the grave of the Right Excellent Nanny of the Maroons, Jamaica's only National Heroine. The plaque on the grave reads: "Nanny of the Maroons / National Hero of Jamaica/Beneath this place known as Bump Grave lies the body of Nanny, indomitable and skilled Chieftains of the Windward Maroons who founded this town." Both the Jamaican and Maroon flags fly there.